Celebrate the legacy of Chinese immigration to Maui with this exciting Chinese Heritage Festival! The festival honors Lahaina’s plantation-era Chinese heritage and Dr. Sun Yat-Sen who is remembered as the “Father of Modern China.” New this year! The event will also showcase a “Taste of China” with exciting treats from Chinatown!
ALL WEEK FROM NOVEMBER 5-9th, 10 AM – 4 PM
Enjoy free admission to the Wo Hing Museum & Cookhouse, a film tribute to Dr. Sun Yat-Sen, special educational exhibits on the history of Wo Hing Temple, and ribbon tying honoring Dr. Sun Yat Sen’s dream for “Peace, Prosperity, and Harmony.”
SCHEDULE ON NOVEMBER 9th:
– 2PM: “The Life of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen and His Connection to Maui” presentation by Dr. Busaba Yip
– 430PM: Lei Ceremony honoring Dr. Sun Yat-Sen
– 5PM to 8PM:
(1) New this year! “Taste of China: Chinatown Treats,” Try authentic Chinese treats from the Sing Cheong Yuan Bakery & Bread House Bakery (both in Chinatown, Oahu) and while sipping on iced Jasmine tea from Lahaina’s own Wokahalic
(2) New this year! Keiki craft activity to make your own Chinese dragon
(3) New this year! Keiki print-making featuring Dr. Sun Yat-Sen’s famous messages of universal love
– 5PM: “Finding my Chinese Roots,” presentation by Wo Hing Society member Bobby Santos
– 7PM: “History of Lahaina Town and Wo Hing Society,” presentation with Cultural Director Dr. Busaba Yip and Wo Hing Society Members Carolyn Kam and Bobby Santos
“Taste of China: Chinatown Treats” Menu:
Jasmine Tea, Sesame Candy (Walnut, Macadamia, and Peanut flavors), Almond Cookies, Rice Cakes, Rice Puffs, Mochi (Red bean and Coconut flavors), Pineapple Bun, Assortment of Cracked Seed
Do you want to make a difference?
You can volunteer for the Chinese Heritage Festival November 9, 2018 to help with festival set-up and decorations, greeting attendees, keiki arts and crafts, and break-down of the event. Seeking volunteers for event set-up from 7 to 10 a.m., and for various roles between 5 and 9 p.m. Water, snacks, and t-shirt provided. Sign up HERE!